Guys, I’m bummed. I recently learned about the effects of synthetic fragrances (labeled as fragrance, or parfum in our products) on our hormone function. I had known about this in general for a while now, but hadn’t fully realized just how many products contain “fragrances” and that it’s not as simple as choosing an organic or “all natural” product. I’ve read several articles today about the true meaning of fragrances. It’s basically a nice word that companies use to cover up the chemicals they use to make our shampoo, lotions, deodorant etc. smell nice. One post I read said that fragrance is actually considered a neurotoxin and contains toluene which has been known to cause loss of muscle control, brain damage, headaches and memory loss among other things. Nice. This is just one of the ingredients in the products we use every day that are damaging our organs through contact with our skin. Others that we should be avoiding are:
- diethanolamine (DEA) used in a variety of personal care/laundry detergent products to create lather
- petrolatum (mineral oils and paraffin)
- sodium laureth sulfate (SLS) found in foaming products (think of all the things we have that foam)
- proplene glycol: actually antifreeze, and is linked to kidney and liver disease (lovely).
- acrylamide: known to increase infertility and neurological problems.
- phenol: think sink lotion
- dioxane: more foaming. Linked to cancer.
- formaldehyde: found in just about everything
- heavy metals: (lead, aluminum, arsenic, nickel, beryllium, mercury, and cadmium) Aluminum is the number one ingredient in most deodorants, and at least one of these is probably in your makeup.
Something else I learned is that “oil” is not the same as essential oil and is most likely synthetic. Even products that have essential oils in them most likely purchase them (or merely chemical components of the natural oil) for cheap from a provider and they are not necessarily pure.
Here is a picture of all of the things I found in my house (most of which I don’t even use anymore) that have at least one of the ingredients listed. As you can see, just because they say all natural or organic, often doesn’t cut it:
Some of these are pretty obvious. But I was disappointed buy the alba products. Both of which contain synthetic fragrances. I had used Organix shampoo for years, but now it’s a no go. I even discovered that Mrs. Meyers has synthetic fragrance! I had tried all natural shampoos and things (think Jason, or the stuff from Trader Joes) but it always dried my hair out, so I would go back to the bad stuff. Now I only use doTerra bath products and cleaning products, and not only do they smell amazing and contain pure essential oils which benefit the hair and scalp but they don’t dry my hair out, they lather well, and they contain ZERO bad stuff.
I wanted to include Dr. Bronner’s as well because it serves as an excellent base when making DIY’s with your oils.
My challenge for you is to check out the stuff you use in your home and make sure they’re really safe and good for you and your family. These ingredients can be pretty sneaky, but with what I know now about their toxic effects on my hormones, it’s worth it to me to rid my shower and under my sink of chemicals and synthetics, you should too, your body will thank you!